Saturday, May 7, 2011

Starting A Garden

What a nice day it was today.  We actually reached 80°.  It was a nice day as far as the weather,  but our day started off on a sad note. Someones dog got hit and killed right in front of our house. We thought it was our next door neighbors dog but no one was home to ask. Rainey went over to the fire department and they told her the dog was hit sometime last night and that they had called it in. That was very sad too see.




Rick and I went to our local swap meet in Cedar Crest this morning and we bought plants for our garden. Tomatoes, peppers, squash, cilantro, broccoli,cucumber, zucchini, and a zinnia plant.  The plants are already off to a good start.  We bought the zinnia because we were told they repel insects. I wanted to check to see if that was true so I googled it.  I found out that certain plants do repel bugs, and that some plants even enhance the flavor of other plants. Zinnias attract hummingbirds which eat whiteflies.  Basil repels flies and mosquitoes and improves the growth and flavor of tomatoes. The site Golden Harvest Organics has a lot of information about plant diseases, companion planting, what to do about insects, pest, and critters, gardening tips, and more.  I found out to keep cats and dogs out of the garden you can grind up grapefruit or lemon rind and spread it over the soil. That is just one of the tip, there is another 11 tips on the Golden Harvest Organics website.  Tomorrow Rick is going to steak out where to make the garden. 

Besides the plants I got a great deal on a beautiful old kerosene lamp from the same person that was selling the plants.  I just love it and plan to actually use it.  It is over 100 years old. The burner has been replaced but that is normal for as old as it is. Plus I want it to be safe.





I will be adding pictures and information as we get our garden going. Also recipes and more when we harvest.


I hope you are enjoying your weekend :)

No comments: